History of Medicine Society
This scholarly program presents lectures on diverse topics by experts in the history of medicine. Lectures are free and open to Mayo Clinic employees and students, patients, visitors and the public.
Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Medical Book Collecting and Scholarship:
A Recovering Bibliomaniac Shares His Perspective
W. Bruce Fye, M.D.
Emeritus Professor of Medicine and the History of Medicine, Mayo Clinic
Phillips Hall, Siebens Building street level
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Complimentary light buffet at 5:30 p.m.
Lecture at 6:00 p.m.
- March 20 - The Crusade for Forgotten Souls: Reforming Minnesota's Mental Institutions, 1946-1954
Presenter: Susan Bartlett Foote, J.D., M.A.
Professor Emerita, Division of Health Pollicy and Management, University of Minnesota
- May 22 - Hidden in Plain View: Discovering the Work of a 16th Century Anatomist Hidden in the Historiated Initials of Andreas Vesalius - Surprising Images of the Healing, Stealing, Dissection and Visection of Bodies
Presenter: Douglas J. Lanska, M.D., M.S., MSPH, FAAN, Emeritus
Veterans Affairs Medical Centre, Tomah, WI
- July 24 - The History of Neurology in Film: The Early Beginnings
Presenter: Eelco F. Wijdicks, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Neurology, Associate Professor of History of Medicine
Leighton Auditorium, Siebens Building
- October 2- Title to be announced
Presenter: Judith Hartzell, author of "Mrs. Charlie: The Other Mayo"
- November 14 - Title to be announced
Presenter: Paul D. Kligfield, M.D., 2019 W. Bruce Fye Visiting Professor
Clinical Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY